Preparing for Hurricane Season: Essential Steps and Forecasts for 2024

Preparing for Hurricane Season: Essential Steps and Forecasts for 2024

May 30 2024

The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) has issued a prompt for all residents to prepare in advance as hurricane season gets underway from June 1st, extending through to November 30th. This alert comes on the heels of significant weather events experienced in Harris County during May, including major flooding and harsh winds. Such instances serve as stark reminders of the importance of being prepared for weather emergencies all year round, not only during hurricane season.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center anticipates an above-average hurricane activity in the Atlantic basin for this year. The forecast for the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season indicates an 85% likelihood of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a near-normal season, and a mere 5% chance of a below-normal season. NOAA projects a range of 17 to 25 total named storms, with 8 to 13 developing into hurricanes, including 4 to 7 major hurricanes. These predictions are based on several converging factors such as near-record warm ocean temperatures, the development of La Nina conditions, reduced Atlantic trade winds, and less wind shear - all conducive to tropical storm formation.

Mark Sloan, the Harris County Emergency Management Coordinator, emphasized the vulnerability of their coastal region and urged all residents to prepare. "It only takes one storm to impact our area and make it a bad season," warns Sloan.

Hurricane Season Preparedness Steps
  1. Get a Kit: HCOHSEM recommends that everyone have an emergency supply kit containing enough non-perishable food and water to last seven days, as well as essential items such as medications, a first-aid kit, flashlights, items for babies, and pet supplies. For a comprehensive checklist, visit
  2. Make a Plan: Residents who live in an evacuation zone should learn their evacuation routes and follow instructions from local authorities. To determine if your home is located in an evacuation zone, check the Zip Zone Evacuation Map. If you may need help evacuating, register with the State of Texas Emergency Assistance Registry (STEAR).
  3. Stay Informed: It's crucial to be weather-aware and stay informed before, during, and after a storm. Register to receive weather and emergency alerts at More specific alerts for those who are deaf, blind, hard of hearing, have low vision or low literacy are also available.

For additional resources on hurricane and severe weather preparedness, see the Official Southeast TX Hurricane & Severe Weather Guide published by the National Weather Service here.

As hurricane season approaches, residents are urged to take action. It is also recommended to purchase flood insurance, even if flooding has not been previously experienced. Policies normally carry a 30-day waiting period and aren't available during an active tropical cyclone in the Gulf of Mexico. For more information, visit

With hurricane season looming, serious commitment to preparation can make all the difference. As June 1 marks the official start of hurricane season, the call to action is now – be prepared.

By Tiffany Krenek, My Neighborhood News 
Tiffany Krenek has been on the My Neighborhood News team since August 2021. She is passionate about curating and sharing content that enriches the lives of our readers in a personal, meaningful way. A loving mother and wife, Tiffany and her family live in the West Houston/Cypress region.

Subscribe to Your


Stay current on local news and events with periodic emails sent straight to you!

Change Neighborhood

Select Your Region/Community